Search

Thursday 1 June 2017

4 Your Eyez Only




Anyone who knows me will tell you that my favourite album of all time is J Cole 2014 Forest Hills Drive. So being a big J Cole fan, from Power Trip to Work Out, you can imagine how excited I was for 4 Your Eyez Only. This album came out of nowhere, it really did. 2016 was meandering to dull close when J Cole released a “documentary” on YouTube where he released two songs where he appeared to take shots at Kanye and Wale. Thank God J Cole released that when he did – he breathed some much needed life into what was a disappointing end to hip hop in 2016.

The album itself has a clear message and idea behind it. If his last album was a turn up, then this is definitely a sit and remember album. Cole brings some deep messages in this album and covers a wide range of issues. He speaks of lost love in She’s Mine, covers gun crime and inequality later in the album. Although the album is definitely thought provoking, moving and pretty chilled – I have to say I am a little disappointed. This is because I like the hard hitting J Cole with the jagged beats like A Tale of 2 Citiez, Fire Squad and Power Trip. As much as this album brings some deep messages and chill vibes, it’s just not the J Cole I prefer. Having said that I have to say Immortal is an absolute banger and a must listen, also the sample of Bryson Tiller’s exchange is really clever. So if you’re in the right mood this album could appeal to you, however, as much as I love J Cole I know this album is going to divide opinion.

This album may not be what I was hoping for but it still has a lot to offer if you enjoy deep and clever lyrics with powerful messages behind them with a hella chill vibe.


J Cole – 4 Your Eyez Only – 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment