Search

Wednesday 2 August 2017

Perfect Timing














"Fire", "Fully Turnt" and "It's Lit" were just a selection of the phrases I expected to hear form people when they told me what they thought about Perfect Timing by Nav and Metro Boomin. It's fair to say I did not hear anything of the sort. This collab album made so much sense on paper - Metro's catchy trap beats with Nav's lewd but hazey vibe just sounded like a match made in heaven. But in reality this project is far closer to purgatory than it is heaven. I actually heard this album 3 days late and I was so shocked when the overriding reaction this album was "meh".
It should be noted that I am a massive Metro Boomin and Nav fan but I just think this album is too inoffensive and lacks risks. I'm afraid to say it just sounds a bit monotone and one dimensional. Easily the best track on this album is A$AP Ferg and even then the reason it is so good is because Lil Uzi Vert brings so much energy to the track by changing his vocal range and raising the pace. Basically these aren't going to go down as classic Metro Boomin beats and honestly as much as I like Nav he needs to change up his voice and bring some variety because it just got a little dull and dare I say it boring after a couple of minutes. I wasn't expecting no 4:44 but even then it'd been nice to hear some other subject matter other than just girls, drugs, money, drugs, cars oh and before I forget... more drugs.

I'm not gonna like these artists any less but it's fair to say I was pretty disappointed by this project. It won't offend you and it won't blow your mind. Although, I can imagine if you're a stoner this will be musical heaven for you. One day as you slump into a dirty sofa in the corner of a crackden in South London, this album will come on and you will feel a great sense of inner peace, your lips will creak open slightly and you'll murmur... "meh".

Nav + Metro Boomin - Perfect Timing - 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment